Sunday, October 9, 2011

Destin (day 1)

This morning we got up at 4:15 to meet our friends Brandon, Ashley and Everley at 5 to head to Destin, FL. We planned this trip a week ago, so we have all been a bit unorganized on getting here, but we are here now!!! We had a wedding that we went to last night and didn't get home until after 10:00. We got back to my parents house, and I still needed to go to the store. We left the store and got home close to 11. I still had not started packing at that point. I felt like I had a lot of time before going to bed, so I went ahead and made muffins and brownies to take on the trip. While that was cooking, I got Olivia's bag packed. Luckily, I had laid her stuff out earlier in the day, because I was now in the dark since she was asleep. All to say, we finally hit the bed at 2:00 a.m. John and I both laughed since we knew we were only getting to sleep for an hour and a half. We arrived in Destin this afternoon. As we came over the bridge and Olivia saw the ocean for the first time she said, "home." We told her no that we were staying here for a few days and then we got her to look at the water. She said, "big!" Within literally one minute, I looked back and she was asleep. We got settled into our condo and quickly changed clothes to head down to the beach.
Olivia was very unsure at first, but warmed up quickly.

Everley was thrilled because she remembers the beach from last fall break. The tide was really high today since we are expecting storms tomorrow. After playing at the beach, we went to swim at the pool. Olivia was shivering so we decided it was time to head back to our room. We got cleaned up and went to eat at Bubba Gump's for dinner. We drove around for a few minutes and then went to Publix for a few things. The girls are currently playing play-doh. Here are a few pictures from Olivia's first time to see the beach.

Olivia and Everley had fun running back and forth carrying the shovels and the buckets.


They were all digging in the sand and I saw John quickly grab Olivia. This washed up right on where they were digging!!! Yuck!

I love this picture!

Olivia decided the water was pretty fun. She sat down and let the water come up around her.

She liked doing that so much that she started army crawling toward the water.

...but a wave got her!

She didn't mind at all. (I know....it looks bad, but it wasn't really deep and she laughed.) We stood her up and she was ready for more.

She was running back our way a bit later and looked cold. I wrapped her up...

....and snuggled her while she ate a 'sand banana.' :)

The 'baywatch' helicopter continuously flew over and came in pretty low several times. The waves were really strong!

All in all, we had a good day!!! Olivia has asked several times about the "wawa." Hopefully, the rain will move out quickly and we can get back out!

1 comment:

  1. We are in destin too! Would love to see y'all! Glad you made it here safely. Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete